Friday, April 12, 2013

Divine Nature- Temperance and Easy to be Entreated

I recently decided that although I received my Young Woman's Medallion about 5 years ago, I would like to re-earn it. Its called the Personal Progress program and I have been trying to think of some ways to progress personally and switch up my scripture study plan.
(Follow this link too learn about Personal Progress program of the LDS church http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_Progress)

One of the values is Divine Nature. It says in 1 Peter that divine nature is to escape the corruption that is in this world.  Like many people, I get extremely overwhelmed listening to or reading the news. There is so much wickedness and terror and sorrow all over the world. It would be too easy to get sucked into the idea that the evil is everywhere and good is too hard to find.  I suppose that is because, simply stated, evil is everywhere, and good is harder to find.  It is important for every young woman, old woman,young man, old man, mother, father, daughter, son, etc, to recognize a truth that I have been taught my whole life.  We are children of God. God is the literal father of our spirits and because of that, we possess some of His divine qualities. This is our divine nature.

Because we all have something divine in us, we are able to 'escape the corruption that is in this world."  Not only do we not take part in the corruption, but we can rise above it. We can work to develop and strengthen our qualities that we get from our Father in Heaven. These are ones I found in scripture:
Faith, Virtue, Knowledge,  Patience, Godliness, Kindness, Hope, Good Works, Full of Charity to All, Long Suffering, Temperate in all things, Diligent in keeping commandments of God, Give thanks to God, and easy to be entreated.

I am not going to elaborate in depth on all of these, mostly because I think it will vary for individuals depending on where they are spiritually and on their personal road of discipleship. However, I will share a few of my thoughts about two of them.

TEMPERANCE
Reading just the first paragraph on Wikipedia taught me some more about temperance. Honestly, if you were to ask me yesterday what temperance was, I would not really be able to give you a definition. If I don't know what something is, how can I develop it as a key quality? I can't.  Understanding what it is, is the first step to making it part of myself. Now that I've read what the actual, technical definition is, I have made my own definition.  It seems to me that temperance is overcoming my natural man, letting my spirit take control over my bodily desires.  This can be illustrated in various ways from fasting to paying tithing to being chaste.
I have tried to think in my own life where I need more temperance.

It may sound silly, but I love desserts. I love brownies and cookies. I love candies and sugar.  I am not technically addicted to it, but I do love it. I am not very good at limiting how much and how often I eat sugar.  Sugar is not a sin, but I think it can make a good comparison.  When I go a full week without eating any treats or sugary foods, I no longer desire them.  Its a hard point to get to for me because picking up a Butterfinger is all to easy. It's easier than not getting one.  I often justify my eating candy by saying, 'its just one candy bar' or '"I'll just eat a few starbursts'.  Before I know it, I've eaten a whole pan of brownies. I'm not kidding, I have literally done that.

Temperance is telling your body no. It's saying, "Dear Body, I know you think you are in charge, but in fact, I am. Be sure you know who's the boss around here.  Love, Your Mind/Spirit"


EASY TO BE ENTREATED
To entreat is to beg or plead. Easy to be entreated seems to be approachable. It makes me think of service to others. If I am easy to be entreated, people won't be intimated to ask me for help. It's putting other's needs before our own.  I frequently hear people say 'Let me know if you need anything." but most of the time, if I needed something, I wouldn't tell this person.  A few peopel come to mind when I think about this divine aspect of our character.  They are the people that I always know are there for me if I need them. Because I know they are there, I try not to bother them for trivial matters, but even when/if I do, they help me.
I have been extremely blessed to have parents like this.  Anything I need; mere conversation, advice, food, money, emotional support, recipes, shoes to borrow, etc, my parents are easy to be entreated.
I suppose if my dad was not easy to be entreated, I would not have called him to ask him if he would fly out to KY on the weekend in order to drive back a moving truck full of my household goods. When in fact, I was not even nervous to ask him because I knew that if it were possible for him to do it, he would.  He happily obliged giving up his whole weekend (and a few sick days) to help me pack up my home and drive the truck out to Utah.  Can you even believe that?!  I didn't bribe him or beg him. I just told him that I would really appreciate it and how much it would mean to me.  And, throughout the planning of his trip he hasn't once complained or mentioned how its a sacrifice for him. He told me he is happy to do it and he looks forward to helping me.  THIS is easy to be entreated. It is willing service asking nothing in return. It is loving doing service and doing loving service.   I have met many people in my life and none of whom so readily give of their time, talents, means, and abilities to serve and help others.  I'm not trying to brag here, but I feel so blessed.  My dad really is an example of this quality and I'm just praying that I can develop this attribute in my own life more like he has.



I truly do believe that we all are children of God and have at least seeds of divine qualities within us even if at the moment they seem like our weaknesses. I know that as we work at it and strive to develop humility, kindness, virtue, patience etc, we can become more like our Heavenly Father. As we pray, God will help us to become more as he intended we would be.


No comments:

Post a Comment