Friday, August 31, 2012

Not God Versus Science; God is a Scientist




There is much debate concerning science versus God.  
I do not see it that way. I have never seen science and God as rivals. Science is a merely a means by which God can and has worked many wonders.  I see God as the Master Scientist and that he uses science to accomplish his means. Omnipotent to me includes knowing everything about science. I would not deny that evolution happens, but I also do not think that Adam was a monkey. I find the idea of that to be blasphemous. I have no idea how God created the world or man or any of the beauties that I see around me every day. I do know that he used science to do it and that it is beautiful and amazing!  This idea of God being an incredible scientist makes lots of things more clear to me.
There is some scientific evidence to suggest that tea has anti-cancer effects.  There is also advice in the world for everyone to have a glass of wine a day for their health.  However, I believe that God has told us that these substances are not good for us and we should avoid them.  The scientists here on earth are great and they have been able to do wonderful things, however they are also fallible. God on the other hand, is not fallible. His science is perfect and if He tells me that these things are not good for me, I believe Him over current scientific evidences because, we can all attest to how quickly 'facts' change. 
The LDS church has urged its members time and time again to gain knowledge, to learn things, and to educate ourselves.  This is not just pertaining to religious studies. This includes science, math, languages, cultures, business, people, etc.  Our minds are amazing and God wants us to use them and the more that we learn about the world, we can get closer to God.  
It is for this reason that the church has BYU Provo, Idaho and Hawaii. They also have LDS business college. They are private colleges and they are so incredible affordable because the church subsidizes the cost because they want everyone, regardless of background, to be able to come and learn. The slogan "Enter to learn; go forth to serve." has been taken by many schools because knowledge gives us the ability to help others in vast ways.  
If we were to just work by faith and not use some knowledge, life would be way to difficult and we would be "carried about by every wind of doctrine". Ephesians 4:14  We must be rooted down with knowledge; personal knowledge.
Here is a quote from the late Prophet Gordon B Hinckley:

"You have a mandate from the Lord to educate your minds and your hearts and your hands. The Lord has said, “Teach ye diligently … of things both in heaven and in the earth, and under the earth; things which have been, things which are, things which must shortly come to pass; things which are at home, things which are abroad; the wars and the perplexities of the nations, and the judgments which are on the land; and a knowledge also of countries and of kingdoms—that ye may be prepared in all things” (D&C 88:78–80).
The Lord wants you to educate your minds and hands, whatever your chosen field. Whether it be repairing refrigerators, or the work of a skilled surgeon, you must train yourselves. Seek for the best schooling available. Become a workman of integrity in the world that lies ahead of you. "

Writing about this makes me think of my favorite hymn; How Great Thou Art. It makes me think of God and how he miraculously (and using science) created the beauties in the world around us.

I found this short video on YouTube and I think it explains this very well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JR8qIrJcJh4&feature=relmfu

No comments:

Post a Comment